- Council provides concessional travel on the Daintree River Ferry to all persons who fulfil the eligibility criteria, subject to the terms and conditions of the Daintree River Ferry Concessional Travel Policy.
- Concessional travel cards cost $23 for residents and ratepayers of the Douglas Shire or $41 for residents of Wujal Wujal and residents and ratepayers of the Cook Shire bounded by the Bloomfield River and the Black Mountain turn-off.
- Application forms for a concessional travel card are available from Council’s Mossman Administration Building, the Mossman Library, the Port Douglas library kiosk or online.
- Concessional travel cards are valid until April 30, 2023, and are available from Council’s Mossman Administration Building, 64-66 Front St, Mossman.
- Ferry access is only permitted to the cardholder. Misuse will result in the card being confiscated for two weeks.
- Visitor tickets are only valid for use on the Daintree River Ferry.
- Each visitor ticket covers the holder and any other persons while travelling together and in the same vehicle to a one-way crossing of the river.
- Each visitor ticket will entitle the holder to a concessional crossing of the river in any type of vehicle except buses.
- Visitor tickets must be presented to the Ferry Operator prior to passage.
- Visitor tickets are non-refundable and valid only up to and including 30 April 2023.
- Visitor tickets are available to eligible ratepayers owning property north of the Daintree River or an eligible resident living north of the Daintree River but within the Douglas Shire Council boundaries (who is a holder of a current concessional ferry card).
- Each eligible cardholder will be entitled to purchase up to a maximum of 110 (one way) visitor tickets for use during the two-year card validity period.
- Douglas Shire Council offers residents from Cardwell to Cooktown, including the Atherton Tablelands, free travel on the Daintree Ferry from November 1 until the end of February annually with a free “Douglas Card”. This includes the following Council areas:
- Douglas Shire Council
- Mareeba Shire Council
- Cairns Regional Council
- Yarrabah Aboriginal Shire Council
- Tablelands Regional Council
- Cook Shire Council
- Wujal Wujal Aboriginal Shire Council
- Hope Vale Aboriginal Shire Council
- Cassowary Coast Regional Council
- The card also provides discounts to local attractions including two free adult tickets for the Mossman Gorge shuttle bus.
- Use of the Douglas Card is restricted to fare categories Motor Car and Utilities (private use), Pedestrians and Bicycles and Motor Bikes.
- To obtain a free Douglas Card, applicants need to provide photographic identification and additional proof of residency with their application to confirm local status at any one of the above local government areas.
- Cards are not transferable and remain the property of Douglas Shire Council.
Heavy Goods Vehicles
- The Ferry has a maximum load limit of 175T total. The allowable maximum weight of a HGV vehicle is 150T. The loading/unloading of this type of vehicle, is at the Ferry Operator’s discretion. If the tide height and ferry landing conditions are not suitable, the vehicle shall not be allowed to load.
- All Ferry users have the responsibility to determine the safe loading and/or unloading of their vehicles, and whether they need to consider the river height at these times, and the angles of ramps and loading lanes.
- The road north of the Ferry, Cape Tribulation Road, has restrictions on vehicle lengths, heights and other parameters. Further consultation by users of large loads is required. Contact us for more information.